10/3/10

THIS IS FUNNN!!

ahhh. another week in the books. It feels as though I've been here forever, which is semi true from working here all summer. This past week was a new experience for us all. It was our first ever class at Kaleo and to some it was there first ever college class!! Usually I just sat in the back during class but this week i was a keener and sat in the front row. I'm I ever glad i did. Cal, the prof, had amazing wisdom for us. The class was Spiritual Formation, not a very academic class, but a very foundational class none the less. I had spiritual formation last year, but it was amazing to have another prof's insight on the subject. What I learned a lot this week was to take solitude time and just praise God. Yeah, it was just a good week learning from Cal. I found it really awesome that both his TA and him were able to live with us for the week. There is ample opportunity to connect with the profs. We also had chapel everyday which was sweet because in that time everyone has a chance to speak and it just brings our group closer together.

This week I've really learned that I really have to soften my heart. This year is going be a year of grace, growth, and foundation. I've gotten to taste all three of those this week through spiritual formation. During the week i had to do a solitude retreat. It was a chance to spend a lot of quality time alone with God. I was kinda nervous going into it because i was like 20ish hours in solitude how am I going be able to pull that off? But it was really sweet because i learned that i have to really soften my heart and open my ears and eyes to what God is trying to get through to me. I'm excited to have my wall broken down so that I can rebuild it with God at the centre.

Also, during the year, we have been linked up to a Qwanoes full time staff member. We had the chance to meet them and share a night with them. I learned that the person who I'm linked with is also a leafs fan!!! I will even have the chance to watch hockey night in canada. :) It is pretty sweet that we can interact with the staff here and be able to grow alongside them.

With the church I'm with there is a program called Kidstown, which i got to help out with today. Its a ministry which goes into a poor nieghbour hood and puts on a vbs type dealio. it was a chance to hang out with kids and just build a relationship with the poor. It is an area in which im used to. Last year I would go out with a program with my school in downtown hamilton to build community. Now i get to do the same sort of ministry here, which im pretty stoked about. It's just a constant reminder for me that I have been blessed so much in my life.

This week coming up I get to be a pirate alllllll week long as im going sailing! How often do you go to a school with one week classes and get to do all sorts of fun stuff such as hiking and sailing? :) I'm so pumped. until then, later days (unless i get shipwrecked....)

1 comment:

  1. Mike, I heard you did SO well with the kids at Kidstown :) I want to hear more about this solo retreat, we never did that in my year, we had a different prof than you guys do. I'm hoping we can talk soon, have fun on SALTS! It's an incredible trip!

    ReplyDelete